I know you’ve been following the maintenance tips I’ve been sharing all year, so preparing for winter should be a breeze! If you missed the Fall Maintenance check list, there’s still time to get that one done while you prepare to get the winter list completed.
So here we are, another winter is headed our way – let’s be prepared so that the season is easier on our home and on our stress levels!
A pre-season check list:
- Winterize your air conditioning unit
- Change your furnace filter
- Check the exterior for potential air leaks (& save on heating your home!)
- Get your snowblower ready/tuned up
- Clean your range hood filter (it can probably go in the dishwasher)
- Have your furnace tuned up (you wouldn’t want it to die on you unexpectedly!)
- Check doors/windows from the inside for air leaks
- Replace the batteries on your smoke or carbon monoxide detectors
- Get your humidifier ready
- Have your fireplace and chimney cleaned and inspected
- Check your roof for signs of weakness/deterioration
- Lift downspouts so they don’t cause ice jams or freeze into the snow (it’s easier to put them down in the Spring for the thaw too)
Once the snow starts to fly there are things you can keep an eye on throughout winter to hopefully head off any serious issues. Things you can do through the winter months are:
- Check roof for ice dams
- Watch for excessive condensation & humidity
- Keep snow accumulation under control
- Avoid frozen pipes – never turn off the heat completely in your home even if you’re away
Interested in the details behind these lists? The how, the why and more can be found on CMHC’s site, Renovation Find.com’s blog, & Lincolnberg.com – these were the resources used here.
You know we move fast from season to season this time of year, don’t let Fall slip through your fingers.
See more of my blogs Fall Maintenance List Check out my listings