Outdoor Living 2021
The NHL playoffs are almost into round #4 and the official calendar start to Summer is right around the corner – it’s time to shift to outdoor living.
Our outdoor living season is short, so we need to make the most of it. Our time spent at home has also changed in the last 18 months! With more of us spending more time at home, it’s time to make our outdoor space part of the home instead of an after thought.
So, how do you make your outdoor space a seamless extension of your home? Thoughtfully of course, but here are some ideas to consider:
- Make your space larger – expand your deck or patio, add levels for different use areas
- Invest in outdoor furniture to make the space feel like the inside of your home
- Create areas with shade to help you and your loved ones beat the heat
- Lighting! Whether you’re a fan of tiki torches or patio lanterns there’s a style for everyone
- Think about your space from an entertaining perspective
- Add or expand your firepit and seating area
- Stretch out the outdoor living season with a patio heater
- Add planters or planter boxes with seasonal plants or herbs and vegetables
- Bring the indoors to the outdoors
Depending on your space and budget there are a variety of ways to bring the indoors to the outdoors.
- Kitchen – bar fridge, prep counter, etc.
- Covered BBQ area – add a roof over your Q for less rays, rain and snow on your BBQ.
- TV – many providers have wireless solutions, grab yourself a WiFi extender and watch the Stanley Cup playoffs outside.
- Rug – add a layer of ‘oooh’ for your tootsies by laying down an indoor/outdoor rug. This also helps define the areas of our outdoor space.
- Furniture – it’s an investment but definitely one to consider for the ultimate outside space, more below.
Just like inside your home, there’s no end to the ideas, options and outcomes when designing your outdoor living space. It’s certainly not too late to get started for this season, even one or two small changes or additions can make your space feel refreshed and more inviting.
Here are some articles you could start with… furniture that’s worth it, at least according to the ‘experts’: https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/01/cnn-underscored/outdoor-patio-furniture/index.html and Forbes.com identified 2021 outdoor living trends: https://www.forbes.com/sites/reginacole/2021/05/27/outdoor-living-space-2021-trends/?sh=33369a564dff
Happy designing, dreaming and summering!
Looking for a new backyard to call your own? here are my local listings.
The post It’s Outdoor Living Time! appeared first on Colin Hartigan.
Source: Colin Blog Import